April 13, 2001

Today I woke up. Then I went back to sleep. Then I woke up. Then I went back to sleep. Then I woke up. Then I went on the Internet, bought two tickest to the Sigur Ros show in NYC, ate 14 dumplings, watched some of Meeting People is Easy, read some of Jimmy Corrigan the Smartest Kid on Earth and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and listened to Radiohead. I went to sleep. Then I woke up. Then I went and drank a glass of apple cider. Then I finished Meeting People is Easy and went on the Internet.

Fridays can only mean non-stop action in Robyn's world! :)

Jimmy Corrigan is a pretty odd comic. Or maybenot...but it's about this guy named Jimmy Corrigan who meets his father for the first time and...uh...I dunno. Lots of different things happen. It's quite sad, Jimmy's life that is. He looks real lonely. But the drawings are cool...me likes! The layout of the panels is interesting too...this is what it looks like:



Here is something interesting I read about it (purely based on a Radiohead reference, but hey...blargh)

The emotional center of "Jimmy Corrigan" is a cartoon analogue of Radiohead's strongest disc, OK Computer — it's a book that catalogues and meditates upon the overwhelming sadness of a lonely, ordinary life in the context of a complicated world of strife and rich, poetic beauty. "Jimmy Corrigan" doesn't draw its emotional momentum from a single, romanticized artist's concept of a tragedy; rather, it swells up from a foundation of hundreds of tiny slights, embarassments, snubs, unpleasant surprises and everyday humiliations that add up to an overwhelming burden of sorrow and isolation.

The other book I was reading is called Nausicaa (well, Nausicaä, but same difference) of the Valley of the Wind. The drawings are really cool, I just find it amazing that anyone could spend so much time drawing everything, all the little details. I mean I'm only reading the first book, there are like...a lot more...and I really like it. It's like Princess Mononoke, or more like Princess Mononoke is like Nausicaa since Nausicaa came before it. Lots to do with nature and stuff, like even though nature is getting all angry, don't try to mess with it or your screwed. In Nausicaa, most of earth has been destroyed in a war or something, and insects and plants have sort of taken over the earth and there aren't many humans left. The bugs are REALLY BIG and scary. I hate bugs. Nausicaa is the princess of the Valley of the Wind and she's really good at...stuff. Well I would just recommend you read it, since I'm not good at telling people what stuff is about. It's by Hayao Miyazaki, who's also done My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa: the Castle in the Sky, and Princess Mononoke...you may not be very familiar with those movies...well they're all good. Even when they're not in English and you can't understand a think they're saying, it's still good.

Alllrighteeeeeeeeeeeeee I dunno what else to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home